BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Too many links : where is the problem ?

2011-08-08 15:20:25
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Too many links : where is the problem ?
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 21:18:35 +0200
Hi,

I wrote on 2011-08-08 19:34:27 +0200 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Too many links :
where is the problem ?]:
> [...]
>       % # go to a directory on the partition you are interested in, make sure
> you have write access
>       % mkdir linktest
>       % cd linktest
>       % touch 1
>       % perl -e 'for (my $i = 2; ; $i ++) { link "1", $i or die "Cant create
> ${i}th link: $!\n"; }'
>
> (this answer is also valid for any other (UNIX type) OS/FS).

correction: this probably won't work on ZFS, where the link counts can
probably become so large that any really existing disk won't be large enough
to hold the directory entries needed to exceed the maximum ;-), and it will
also fail on other file systems where the count can become so large that Perl
will use value representations like '1e+15' in $i (the second link named
'1e+15' obviously won't be able to be created). Then again, BackupPC also
won't handle limiting link counts to such high values too well, so it's
probably best to keep HardLinkMax <= 999999999999999 even if you should
encounter a FS that permits more. Not that you're likely to ever reach that
limit anyway ...

What this really means is that you should probably limit $i to some sane value
in the for() loop so you don't wait forever on file systems permitting huge
numbers of hard links.

Regards,
Holger