BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Too many links : where is the problem ?

2011-08-08 12:21:52
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Too many links : where is the problem ?
From: friedmann <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2011 09:19:51 -0700
Hi there,

One of the computers that i backup fails to dump, after a while.
After investigations, i found out the error "too many links" on a certain file.
This is highly probable that the number of identical files, in that case,
exceeds 31999.

I read few things about this issue over the internet, and saw several obscure
tricks, and i wondered why i could not increase the number of hardlinks
${HardLinkMax} ?

the backup machine is 32bits, ubuntu 10.04.1, operating on ext3 partitions :
What is then the maximum value for this parameter ?

Many thanks for your answers !
Alexandre