BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Too many links : where is the problem ?

2011-08-08 19:42:59
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Too many links : where is the problem ?
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2011 19:41:18 -0400
Les Mikesell wrote at about 17:43:41 -0500 on Monday, August 8, 2011:
 > On 8/8/2011 5:33 PM, Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
 > > Les Mikesell wrote at about 16:59:45 -0500 on Monday, August 8, 2011:
 > >   >  On 8/8/2011 3:28 PM, Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
 > >   >  >
 > >   >  >
 > >   >  >  FYI, On 32-bit Fedora 12/Linux 2.6.32:
 > >   >  >      Ext2/3: MAX=32000
 > >   >  >      Ext4: MAX=65000
 > >   >  >
 > >   >  >  This presumably should be true more generally for any relatively
 > >   >  >  non-ancient&   unhacked version of Linux...
 > >   >
 > >   >  Is exceeding that a fatal error?  I thought it was just supposed add
 > > an
 > >   >  entry like a hash collision and go on.
 > >
 > > Well the link command in Holger's perl script fails and I imagine a
 > > similar bash script would fail too...
 >
 > I meant as far as backuppc is concerned.  I thought it was fairly common
 > to have a bazillion copies of the same file scattered over your clients
 > and backuppc did something reasonable - but I'm not quite sure what.

As I mentioned in my previous post, before creating a link BackupPC
(and also my routines too btw) check to see if HardLinkMax is exceeded
and if so then the pool element is duplicated (actually moved
typically) and new elements are linked to it. This just adds an
element to the md5sum chain. This all happens automatically and
sensibly in BackupPC.