BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Getting TAR error: 512 (!)

2011-08-08 14:29:12
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Getting TAR error: 512 (!)
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: tx836519 AT bellsouth DOT net, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2011 20:27:03 +0200
Hi,

I changed the subject line, because the old one was confusing me ;-).

Kenneth L. Owen wrote on 2011-08-05 16:28:32 -0400 [[BackupPC-users] Getting
TAR error: 502]:
> I have been running Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) until about April of this year
> when I upgraded to Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid).  I was and am still running the
> sudoers file method for backuppc to connect with limited access to
> clients.  Almost everything converted to the new OS version with no
> problem and all remote machine backup is working fine, but I am getting
> errors on the server running backuppc.

Did the update install a newer version of BackupPC?

> The following was copied from
> the log:
> 2011-08-05 01:00:01 Started incr backup on localhost (pid=32640,
> share=/home/ken)
>   < deleted successful details >
> 2011-08-05 02:00:00 Next wakeup is 2011-08-05 03:00:00
> 2011-08-05 02:00:01 Started incr backup on localhost (pid=6104,
> share=/home/ken)
> 2011-08-05 02:00:12 Backup failed on localhost (Tar exited with error 512 ()
> status)
> [and so on]

Actually, that's an exit code 2 from tar, and I get those too (for a "proof of
concept" sort of /etc backup without root permission), but my backups succeed
in spite of those errors (with BackupPC 2.1.2, that is). Apparently, exit code
2 from tar just means that some files could not be read (luckily, tar is not
documented properly in man page format, and the license on the info file seems
to prevent its conversion into a man page, so I have to guess).

Whether failing to read some files is a fatal error on a backup is probably a
matter of taste (or application). I would consider my case (wanting to backup
public information and ignore confidential information) to be the more
uncommon, so I could understand if the error has been made fatal in recent
versions of BackupPC (though I'm not aware of that being the case, i.e. I
can't find any mention of it in the ChangeLog), especially since tar seems to
allow for explicitly ignoring those errors with '--ignore-failed-read'. You
might just want to add that flag to your TarClientCmd and see if that fixes
things for you.

Provided you are *expecting* not to backup certain files, that is. You say you
are using "the sudoers file method"? That would normally mean your tar command
is running as root - and should not have such problems. Maybe I am
misinterpreting you and you are, in fact, using sudo to *reduce* privileges?

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Holger