BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Backup via unstable WAN

2011-07-18 17:10:15
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Backup via unstable WAN
From: Isterklister <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 14:06:03 -0700
"Hello,
is there a way to backup over an unstable WAN link (it is only short breaks so
that the SSH tunnel is broken). I use rsync over SSH, unfortunately, fails the
backup each time the line is broken.

Is there a way to restart the backup until it is finished? Now all backup stops
and are discarded each time the ssh tunnel are broken and the backup will never
be finished.

Interrupted full runs should result in a 'partial' backup that is used
by rsync to continue on the next attempt. However, because fulls do a
read and checksum comparison on all data, continuing can still be a slow
process even though it doesn't use the bandwidth to send matching data
again. I don't think there is much you can do to improve that.
Enabling compression on the ssh connection might help get more data
across while the connection stays up. Turning on keep-alives in ssh
might help if some equipment in the connection path is dropping the link
due to idle time.

You might use standard rsync to make a local snapshot copy of the
target, restarting as needed, then let backuppc copy that to keep a history.
"

I thought of that myself earlier and it is worth trying. I will have to fix
some script to establish the VPN tunnel but I guess I also can use it for other
communications between my different places.

Thanks

/Pelle