BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup via unstable WAN

2011-07-18 15:47:17
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup via unstable WAN
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>, pelle AT masendata DOT com
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 21:44:05 +0200
Hi,

Les Mikesell wrote on 2011-07-18 10:38:03 -0500 [Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup
via unstable WAN]:
> On 7/18/2011 10:08 AM, Isterklister wrote:
> > is there a way to backup over an unstable WAN link (it is only short
> > breaks so that the SSH tunnel is broken).

yes, actually there is. If you can set up a VPN tunnel, that should give your
link the stability you need (providing the breaks are not long enough to make
ssh time out - I believe you can influence that via ssh config options).
Actually, I'm typing this mail over an "UNSTABLE wan link" (it's more unstable
than WAN or link, and most of the time I don't see what I type for extended
periods of time - for upto several minutes). OpenVPN has reconnected six
times (and counting ...) over the last hour due to timeouts, and I've had
three different dynamic IP addresses during this time. It's not really fun
for interactive use, but my ssh connection works perfectly fine without
interruption. A data transfer would probably be quite slow, but there is
no reason it should not work.

The point is, the virtual link over the VPN remains intact. OpenVPN itself
occasionally gets ENETUNREACH errors when the mobile link goes down, but it
doesn't propagate them, it just re-establishes the tunnel.

I believe solving the network issues is better than working around them. Of
course you can also follow the rsync mirror suggestion if you can't use a VPN
for some reason, but it does sound like a hack rather than a solution to me.

Regards,
Holger