BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup via unstable WAN

2011-07-18 11:40:52
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup via unstable WAN
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 10:38:03 -0500
On 7/18/2011 10:08 AM, Isterklister wrote:
> Hello,
> is there a way to backup over an unstable WAN link (it is only short breaks
> so that the SSH tunnel is broken). I use rsync over SSH, unfortunately, fails
> the backup each time the line is broken.
>
> Is there a way to restart the backup until it is finished? Now all backup
> stops and are discarded each time the ssh tunnel are broken and the backup
> will never be finished.

Interrupted full runs should result in a 'partial' backup that is used
by rsync to continue on the next attempt.  However, because fulls do a
read and checksum comparison on all data, continuing can still be a slow
process even though it doesn't use the bandwidth to send matching data
again.  I don't think there is much you can do to improve that.
Enabling compression on the ssh connection might help get more data
across while the connection stays up.  Turning on keep-alives in ssh
might help if some equipment in the connection path is dropping the link
due to idle time.

You might use standard rsync to make a local snapshot copy of the
target, restarting as needed, then let backuppc copy that to keep a history.