BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup via unstable WAN

2011-07-18 14:37:32
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup via unstable WAN
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 13:34:42 -0500
On 7/18/2011 12:56 PM, Isterklister wrote:
> Thanks. Do I understand you correctly that you mean that I should copy the
> files to the backup server using rsync until everything is ready, and then
> point to the katalogeln with backuppc?

Yes - at least that approach should work if local (to the server) disk
space is easier to arrange than better network access.  The copy doesn't
have to be on the backup server itself, just on a machine on its side of
the bad network link.  Using stock rsync will be faster, you can use the
-z option for compression, and you don't have the forced --ignore-times
that you get with backuppc fulls.  And you can repeat it as
often/frequently as needed to complete.

> Would it not be hard to recover the files to the client throug the web
> interface? (it is in itself not the most important)

That's going to be hard in any case if you can't count on the network to
stay connected.   You can make it look somewhat like the real target if
you use a ClientNameAlias to connect it to the copy.