BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Backup via unstable WAN

2011-07-18 14:00:15
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Backup via unstable WAN
From: Isterklister <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 10:56:45 -0700
"
On 7/18/2011 10:08 AM, Isterklister wrote:
Hello,
is there a way to backup over an unstable WAN link (it is only short breaks so
that the SSH tunnel is broken). I use rsync over SSH, unfortunately, fails the
backup each time the line is broken.

Is there a way to restart the backup until it is finished? Now all backup stops
and are discarded each time the ssh tunnel are broken and the backup will never
be finished.

Interrupted full runs should result in a 'partial' backup that is used
by rsync to continue on the next attempt. However, because fulls do a
read and checksum comparison on all data, continuing can still be a slow
process even though it doesn't use the bandwidth to send matching data
again. I don't think there is much you can do to improve that.
Enabling compression on the ssh connection might help get more data
across while the connection stays up. Turning on keep-alives in ssh
might help if some equipment in the connection path is dropping the link
due to idle time.

You might use standard rsync to make a local snapshot copy of the
target, restarting as needed, then let backuppc copy that to keep a history.

lesmikesell < at > gmail.com
"

Thanks. Do I understand you correctly that you mean that I should copy the
files to the backup server using rsync until everything is ready, and then
point to the katalogeln with backuppc?

Would it not be hard to recover the files to the client throug the web
interface? (it is in itself not the most important)

/ Pelle