BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems rsyncing WinXP

2011-06-09 10:43:10
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Problems rsyncing WinXP
From: "Michael Stowe" <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 09:41:14 -0500
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to backup a WinXP-Machine with Backup-PC and rysncd for a
> long time now.
> But the rsync is always aborted, but I don't now why.
>
> In the error-log on the webinterface I found:
> full backup started for directory cDrive
> Connected to b-cdcopy:873, remote version 29
> Negotiated protocol version 28
> Connected to module cDrive
> Sending args: --server --sender --numeric-ids --perms --owner --group -D
> --links --hard-links --times --block-size=2048 --recursive
> --ignore-times . .
> Sent exclude: /System Volume Information
> Sent exclude: /pagefile.sys
> Sent exclude: /hiberfil.sys
> Sent exclude: /RECYCLER
> Sent exclude: /rsyncd
> Sent exclude: /Dokumente und Einstellungen/*/Lokale
> Einstellungen/Temporary Internet Files
> Sent exclude: /Dokumente und Einstellungen/*/Lokale Einstellungen/Temp
> Sent exclude: /Dokumente und
> Einstellungen/*/Anwendungsdaten/Microsoft/Search
> Sent exclude: /Dokumente und Einstellungen/NetworkService/*
> Sent exclude: /Dokumente und Einstellungen/LocalService/*
> Sent exclude: /Dokumente und Einstellungen/*/NTUSER.DAT
> Sent exclude: /Dokumente und Einstellungen/*/ntuser.dat.LOG
> Sent exclude: /WINDOWS/Temp
> Sent exclude: /WINDOWS/Registration/*.crmlog
> Sent exclude: /Temp
> Sent exclude: *.dat
> Sent exclude: *.LOG
> Sent exclude: /WINDOWS/*
> Sent exclude: *\x{c2}\x{ae}*
> Xfer PIDs are now 26205
> [ überspringe 5636 Zeilen ]
> Done: 4580 files, 3227159801 bytes
> Backup aborted ()
> Saving this as a partial backup, replacing the prior one (got 4580 and
> 4580 files versus 0)
>
> I use backupPC 3.2.0 on a Machine with OpenSuSE, on Windows-XP the
> cygwin-rsyncd from http://sourceforge.net/projects/backuppc
>
> Any ideas why the backup is abborted?
>
> Regards
>
> Daniel

I can tell you what I encountered, and speculate that you may be
experiencing something similar:

Some antivirus programs are protective of attempts to read their files or
directories, and respond by either killing the process or suspending its
ability to read files (neither of which rsync reacts well to.)

There are a few other things that can confuse and abort rsync:
- not using vshadow/locked files -- in most cases, this is just an error,
but in some corner cases, it seems that rsync will abort.  I'm not sure
what the pattern is.
- antivirus and related programs either protect the filesystem or the port
from rsync, interpreting it as an attack (Norton and McAffee in
particular, but the behavior is by no means restricted to these two.)  In
many cases, the port and binary can be placed into an exception list.
- rsync may encounter a filename or directory structure that it is not
able to deal with:  for example, a link loop, a particularly long
filename, or one containing characters it's not equipped to handle.  Some
of these are solvable using different options when compiling rsync.