BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] BackupPC and RAM (Was: Re: BackupPC on XFS getting lots of error -4 when calling...)

2011-05-24 15:52:58
Subject: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC and RAM (Was: Re: BackupPC on XFS getting lots of error -4 when calling...)
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 15:47:11 -0400
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com> wrote on 05/24/2011 11:09:09 AM:

> On 5/24/2011 9:36 AM, Timothy J Massey wrote:
> >
> > I ended up upgrading that system to 2GB of RAM merely so that I could
> > finish the fsck.
> >
> > (Oh, and to a long-ago debate about would more RAM help BackupPC to do
> > its job: nope. The backups with 2GB took almost exactly the same amount
> > of time as the ones with 512MB. I wasn't swapping with 512MB, and there
> > just isn't that much data that can be profitably cached while doing a
> > backup, as long as the file list can fit in RAM: the few dentries and
> > inodes in use at a time just don't take that much space...)
>
> That just seems wrong - although I'd consider 2Gb to be a fairly small
> amount of RAM and maybe not enough to help.  It should be useful to
> cache the whole pool directory tree so you don't have to seek there to
> check for every hash match.

Two things:  1) If *quadrupuling* the total memory does not improve the performance measurably, it is likely not to be improved with even more,  and 2) your idea of "small" and mine are more than a little different.  My backup servers are a *lot* closer to Jeffrey's plug computer than whatever you're using.  I guess there's a third point:  I'm not convinced that I'm *not* caching the entire pool tree--especially with the 2GB.

I just reviewed my backup server logs.  I upgraded the RAM in 2011, and I've gone back and checked several different monthly logs from 2010:  all of the full backups were within 5% of each other (and usually closer:  this is an effectively static and unused server with 250GB of data and about a half-million files).

So I just don't see that more RAM is going to help.  Period.  Of course, YMMV (especially if you have a truly obscene number of files:  many millions).

By the way, to be clear:  BackupPC does an outstanding job even on small hardware:  1.2GHz VIA CPU, 512MB RAM and a single SATA spindle is my standard BackupPC appliance (not server:  appliance!  :) ).  While I would certainly take it, I'm not actually *looking* for more performance.  My fulls take about 400 minutes for servers with 250-500GB of data and 500,000 or so files, and my incrementals take just minutes (15 - 75, depending on how late in the week/busy the users are).

That's an effective backup rate of 19MB/s (with no small thanks to rsync's help, too).

Timothy J. Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!

http://www.OutOfTheBoxSolutions.com