BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC on XFS getting lots of error -4 when calling...

2011-05-24 10:34:34
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC on XFS getting lots of error -4 when calling...
From: Pavel Hofman <pavel.hofman AT ivitera DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 16:33:19 +0200
Doherty, Peter Charles napsal(a):

> On 5/24/11 03:35 , "Pavel Hofman" <pavel.hofman AT ivitera DOT com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Just a note - our large xfs backuppc partition with many years of
>> historic backups and tens of millions of hardlinks does not even allow
>> for xfs_check - the program consumes all available memory (8GB) and
>> after a few days swaps itself to death.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Pavel.
>

> My memory is a little uncertain, and I can't find a solid reference, but I
> think you can use "xfs_repair -n" in place of xfs_check, without making
> any changes to the FS, and xfs_repair is less memory intensive.
> I'd be pretty worried operating a file system that had grown beyond the
> limits of what the FS check utility can handle.

You are right. In our case we could move the drives to a bigger machine
with more RAM, should circumstances required so. It would just take a
few days :)

However I have never been able to recover unmountable XFS partition with
xfs_repair without actually loosing data, resulting in re-installation
or restoring from backups anyway. We rotate two sets of weekly offline
backuppc server backups. Should the filesystem crash occur, we would use
these backups. True, there can be inconsistencies of our backuppc data
partition built up over time. So far (8 years) we have noticed none.
Fortunately :)

Regards,

Pavel.