BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC on XFS getting lots of error -4 when calling...

2011-05-24 10:23:12
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC on XFS getting lots of error -4 when calling...
From: "Doherty, Peter Charles" <Peter_Doherty AT hms.harvard DOT edu>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 10:21:39 -0400

On 5/24/11 03:35 , "Pavel Hofman" <pavel.hofman AT ivitera DOT com> wrote:

>Holger Parplies napsal(a):
>> Hi,
>>

>> For the archives:
>> If you suspect your XFS file system is corrupt,
>>
>> 1.) read the man pages xfs_check(8) and xfs_repair(8),
>> 2.) then run xfs_check, and, only if this indicates you should,
>> 3.) correct problems with xfsdump(8) and/or xfs_repair after possibly
>>making
>>     a backup copy of your file system (i.e. partition/volume).
>>

>Hi,
>
>Just a note - our large xfs backuppc partition with many years of
>historic backups and tens of millions of hardlinks does not even allow
>for xfs_check - the program consumes all available memory (8GB) and
>after a few days swaps itself to death.
>
>Regards,
>
>Pavel.

My memory is a little uncertain, and I can't find a solid reference, but I
think you can use "xfs_repair -n" in place of xfs_check, without making
any changes to the FS, and xfs_repair is less memory intensive.
I'd be pretty worried operating a file system that had grown beyond the
limits of what the FS check utility can handle.

--peter