BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] I need help and will compensate

2011-05-11 16:49:21
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] I need help and will compensate
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 15:47:27 -0500
On 5/11/2011 2:45 PM, Richard Shaw wrote:
> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 1:44 PM, Les Mikesell<lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
> wrote:
>> I just tried this under 10.04 LTS and the install process popped up a
>> dialog with a password it had created and listed the command to change
>> it.  You'd probably save yourself some trouble if you mount your drive
>> under /var/lib/backuppc before the install so everything lands in the
>> right place from the beginning (assuming that's not the only drive in
>> the box...).  And you might consider making the drive a raid with a
>> 'missing' member instead of using it directly.  That way you can easily
>> add a mirror later for reliability.
>
> Yes, if you use the GUI installer it asks for a password (I run Fedora
> so I tried installing in a Virtual Box instance), however, since for
> the contract job I was doing it directly from command line / apt-get I
> didn't get that prompt, although strangely enough it did seem to
> create a password when I checked out the htpasswd file, so I ended up
> just changing the password.

I did it with 'apt-get install' but was in a terminal window in a remote
desktop under NX/freenx (which I highly recommend for any remote access
work because it runs over ssh, has good performance, and lets you
disconnect, reconnect with everything still running) and the dialog with
the password info popped up a new window.  It might have worked over
plain ssh if you had used the '-Y' option for X forwarding.

> I wasn't given the option of where the backup volume would be (In this
> case a RAID 5 volume), so I just used a bind mount so I didn't have to
> change the default backuppc settings. Since it isn't running SELinux I
> didn't have to do that but it seemed the path of least resistance.

The rpm/dep packaged installs have already decided where the archive
goes (/var/lib/backuppc/) and if you get your partition mounted (or
symlinked) there before the install you don't have to move anything later.