BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] I need help and will compensate

2011-05-11 15:47:08
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] I need help and will compensate
From: Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 14:45:20 -0500
On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 1:44 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
wrote:
> I just tried this under 10.04 LTS and the install process popped up a
> dialog with a password it had created and listed the command to change
> it.  You'd probably save yourself some trouble if you mount your drive
> under /var/lib/backuppc before the install so everything lands in the
> right place from the beginning (assuming that's not the only drive in
> the box...).  And you might consider making the drive a raid with a
> 'missing' member instead of using it directly.  That way you can easily
> add a mirror later for reliability.

Yes, if you use the GUI installer it asks for a password (I run Fedora
so I tried installing in a Virtual Box instance), however, since for
the contract job I was doing it directly from command line / apt-get I
didn't get that prompt, although strangely enough it did seem to
create a password when I checked out the htpasswd file, so I ended up
just changing the password.

I wasn't given the option of where the backup volume would be (In this
case a RAID 5 volume), so I just used a bind mount so I didn't have to
change the default backuppc settings. Since it isn't running SELinux I
didn't have to do that but it seemed the path of least resistance.

Richard