BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] FreeBSD port Broken?

2011-05-04 21:00:32
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] FreeBSD port Broken?
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: "RYAN M. vAN GINNEKEN" <ryan AT computerking DOT ca>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 02:59:44 +0200
Hi,

RYAN M. vAN GINNEKEN wrote on 2011-05-04 01:47:51 -0600 [Re: [BackupPC-users]
FreeBSD port Broken?]:
> [...]
> Adjust the command line to work with FreeBSD not sure how to go about this?

just like any time you're looking at a command prompt and wondering what to
type.

> I presume editing the config.pl script any hints?

I presume you've done that before - or are you actually using the default
backup definition the package happened to provide?

> I checked that /usr/bin/tar exits

Is that 'exits' or 'exists'?

> and wounder why would the FreeBSD package maintainers not include a working
> configuration file, or include gnu tar as a dependency if it is required to
> work.

GNU tar is neither required, nor would it be a dependency if it were. You need
to understand what you're doing. You need to understand the difference between
your BackupPC server and the client(s) you want to back up. In *your* (not
necessarily typical) case, these two seem to be identical. Fine. You *can* use
BackupPC that way. In the general case, your clients are separate machines,
possibly with a different OS and any conceivable version of any toolkit
installed. In any case, they are outside the scope of dependencies of your
BackupPC package - and outside the scope of consideration of the packager(s).
They probably don't even know the *names* of these machines, so they clearly
can't provide a working configuration.

If you are really using the default configuration provided with the package,
you should learn two things from your experience:

1.) You need to think about what *you* want to do (i.e. back up), not blindly
    use some *examples* someone included to get you started. I would consider
    it a *feature* if such examples *do not* work out of the box.

2.) Apart from probably not doing what you require of them, examples may be
    ill chosen. Doing a backup of the /etc directory on the local host with
    'ssh -l root' is not recommendable - and the excludes certainly make no
    sense at all.

> Don't get me wrong i love BSD, but why do they make everything so difficult
> for us.

For what, exactly, do you love BSD, if you find it so difficult? Or was that a
typo?

> I am sure it is just me as backuppc is in the ports so most must have it
> working right?

Right.

> maybe i should forget tar and move on to rsync or something?

You are going to need a working rsync command line just the same (and a
supported version of rsync). That doesn't make anything easier - just
different.

> This is just the localhost wondering how difficult it will be to backup
> remote machines.

Yes, they will need to be switched on, plugged into the network, etc. Lots of
things to think about.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Holger