BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] FreeBSD port Broken?

2011-05-04 08:51:15
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] FreeBSD port Broken?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 04 May 2011 07:49:24 -0500
On 5/4/11 2:47 AM, RYAN M. vAN GINNEKEN wrote:
> Thank you for your reply
>
> Adjust the command line to work with FreeBSD not sure how to go about this? I
> presume editing the config.pl script any hints?

You should be able to change it in the web interface.

> I checked that /usr/bin/tar exits and wounder why would the FreeBSD package
> maintainers not include a working configuration file, or include gnu tar as a
> dependency if it is required to work.  Don't get me wrong i love BSD, but why
> do they make everything so difficult for us.

The *bsd distributions are derived from unix, not linux, and stay faithful to
the original tools to a greater extent than linux distributions which tend to
rely on the GNU tools and their extensions.  It's not that one is better/less
difficult, you just seem to be used to something different.  If they include
gnu
tar, they might call it gtar so as not to conflict with (their) standard copy.

> I am sure it is just me as backuppc is in the ports so most must have it
> working right?
>
> Does anyone have backuppc working on FreeBSD with tar? maybe i should forget
> tar and move on to rsync or something?

I'd use rsync just on general principles.  It understands deletions and old
files in locations under renamed directories where tar doesn't.