BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] ping failures: dhcp clients and different subnets

2011-05-05 05:54:05
Subject: [BackupPC-users] ping failures: dhcp clients and different subnets
From: Heiko Hägele <haegele AT gfz-potsdam DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 05 May 2011 11:52:07 +0200
Hi,

I'm running into problems by using backuppc with dhcp clients which are
using a different subnet then the backuppc server.
(It's not possible to use backuppc server and clients in the same subnet
in this case. DNS Server doesn't accept DynamicDNS entries.)

Error:
Backup Process don't start because of ping fails.
"Pings to sec43-dyn27 have failed 550 consecutive times."

I have customize the NmbLookupFindHostCmd variable in config.pl and
using the program nbtscan to get netbiosnames.
$Conf{NmbLookupFindHostCmd} =
'/usr/local/BackupPC/bin/BackupPC_get_HostIP $host';

content:
#!/bin/sh
test ! -z "$1" || { echo "keinen HOST angegeben" ;exit 1;}
SEARCH="$1"
FILE='/tmp/pclist.txt'
/usr/sbin/nbtscan -s : subnet1 >  $FILE
/usr/sbin/nbtscan -s : subnet2 >> $FILE
/usr/sbin/nbtscan -s : subnet3 >> $FILE
/usr/sbin/nbtscan -s : subnet4 >> $FILE
IP=`grep -i $SEARCH $FILE | cut -d ":" -f1`
echo "$IP $SEARCH"

output is (example):
192.168.1.1 sec43-dyn27

If I start a backup from the console as backuppc user <BackupPC_dump -i
sec43-dyn27> then everything is fine. But if I perform a backup from the
webfrontend then nothing happens besides the increasing of ping failure
counter.

Any suggestions?? Which programs will be startet in which order when I
perform the backup from the webfrontend???

Thanks in advance.
Heiko

btw: If I set the variable "PingCmd"  to $Conf{PingCmd} = '/bin/true'
then I got the same failure.