BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Basics

2011-03-17 15:58:43
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Basics
From: Joe Konecny <jkonecny AT rmtohio DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 15:56:33 -0400
On 3/17/2011 2:49 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On 3/17/2011 1:05 PM, Joe Konecny wrote:
>>
>> 2. In my experience I have found that quite a few proprietary products
>> work better than the open source equivalent.  Don't get me wrong... I
>> love open source and use quite a bit of it.  Firefox, Thunderbird,
>> Openoffice, Hylafax, Linux, FreeBSD, Samba, Backuppc... the list goes
>> on...  and all in a corporate setting.  But quite a few of these cause
>> me problems and headaches compatibility wise that if I wasn't such an
>> open source zealot I would eagerly move to a closed source program.
>
> When 2 things have compatibility problems, it doesn't seem fair to blame
> just one of them, especially the one that is closed source, doesn't
> follow any standards, and almost certainly introduces undocumented
> changes just to be anti-competitive.

I don't blame the open source version at all.  Certainly the problems
are likely caused by not following standards.  But when you are forced
to deal with banks who require IE to access their interface,  companies
who send winmail.dat's all the time, various xls, doc, and ppt formatting
issues and faxes that cannot talk to each other, etc, you either get
headaches or give up and go with the flow.  So far I've accepted the headaches.