BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Basics

2011-03-17 19:54:25
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Basics
From: Timothy Murphy <gayleard AT eircom DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 23:51:57 +0000
Joe Konecny wrote:

> I'm not claiming I can explain the solution to his problem but this is a
> good example of why
> microsoft is so successful.  MS has MVP's (most valuable professional's)
> (and they aren't necessarily on ms's payroll) that hang out in forums and
> relentless answer questions that
> have been asked thousands of times.  With the open source world... you are
> usually responded to with "rtfm" or "don't let the door hit your ass on
> the way out."

That's not my experience at all.
I often find it very hard to get help with simple Windows problems,
and don't know of any Windows forums (fori?) similar to this one,
or to the other Linux mailing lists I subscribe to.
By contrast I nearly always get several helpful suggestions

Yesterday for example I was looking for a solution to a problem
on my wife's Windows laptop ("STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}"),
and found innumerable offers of "free" programs that would solve this
and every problem under the sun for $35.
In the end I found by running a Fedora Live CD
that a memory module was faulty
(the machine's Diagnostic program said it was fine).

Incidentally, is there a Windows backup program as good as BackupPC?
The standard Windows backup program has no facility
to make incremental backups, as far as I can see,
and also seems inordinately slow.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net