BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Newbie setup questions

2011-03-14 12:37:24
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Newbie setup questions
From: Michael Conner <mdc1952 AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 11:35:39 -0500
On Mar 10, 2011, at 4:04 PM, Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:

> Michael Conner wrote at about 14:46:21 -0600 on Thursday, March 10, 2011:
>> That is good to know. Actually things are a little better than I thought,
>> the spare machine is Dell Dimension 2400 with a Pentium 4, max 2 gb memory.
>> So I guess I could slap a new bigger drive into it and use it. My basic plan
>> is to get backups going to one machine and then dupe those to an NAS
>> elsewhere in the building. While we have a small staff, our building is
>> 62,000 sq ft with three floors, so I can get them physically separated even
>> if not really off site. For the web server, we have a two drive raid set up
>> with two spare drive bays. Besides backing up with BPC, I would also dupe
>> the drive on a schedule and take off site.
>
> Please DON'T TOP POST - it makes following a thread incredibly
> difficult and is considered bad etiquette on many mailing lists,
> including this one.
>
> Keep in mind the point that Les made regarding backing up BackupPC
> archives. Due to the hard link structure, the fastest way to back up
> any reasonably large backup is at the partition level. This also makes
> it hard to enlarge your archive space should you outgrow your
> disk. One good solution is to use lvm since you can
> enlarge/expand/move partitions across multiple disks. You can also use
> lvm to create partition snapshots that can then be replicated as backups.

Apologize for the top posting. Strange, but true, I've been on various mailing
lists for 10+ years and have never even heard the term before, though I've
certainly seen the various reply methods in use. As an anthropologist, I try to
blend in with locals, but you never know when you'll inadvertently do something
taboo and end up cursed or having your heart cut out with an obsidian knife.

Anyway, by reading the docs and the list, I'm aware of the need to be careful
in duplicating the backups, and I'll just have to experiment with the best way
for my needs once I get things going. Luckily we don't have a huge amount of
data, less 1T now, but scans and images are growing.

I went into it hoping I could institute something like I do for my own
computer, which for normal work is a Mac and WMware for running Windows as
needed. I even use terminal some to do specialized things now and then. I back
up my data daily to an NAS with a cheap syncing program and every few weeks
clone the hard drive with CarbonCopyCloner to an external drive.

The latter is something I would like to do with the backup server if possible.
CCC is great because you don't have to use identical drives, just an external
with enough space, and you can make a bootable clone. So if my hard drive
fails, I can boot off the external, clone onto the new internal, and am ready
to go. I had hoped to be able to do this for the web server and backup server,
to occasionally make a clone of the main drive that can be used to get the
machine up and running quickly in the event of major failure or fire, etc.
without reinstalling the system from scratch. But I'll settle for multiple,
physically separated copies of the important data.

First I need to get the hardware up and running, then start the real testing of
BPC.

Mike