BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Newbie setup questions

2011-03-10 14:28:03
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Newbie setup questions
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 13:26:29 -0600
On 3/10/2011 12:55 PM, Michael Conner wrote:
> Thanks to all who replied. You all basically confirmed my feeling that using
> our web server as the backup server was not best practice. I just hoped we
> might get by without buying another computer, even though it wouldn't need to
> be a very expensive one. The only spare computer we have now is an old XP box
> with some type of Celeron processor. Maybe I'll use that to set up a test
> system, then get a better one for production.

Note that it can be moderately difficult to move a large archive to a
different drive by means other than an image copy of the disk because
the large number of hardlinks make file-oriented copies slow.  This
might not apply to the scale you are planning, but you might consider
getting a large drive (or a pair to raid) and mounting it in your old
computer, then moving to a newer box later.  Or sometimes you can just
start over on a new server, keeping the old one around until you build
some history on the new one.

> One additional question: are there any advantages to any particular flavor of
> Linux for BPC?

Not enough to make it worth learning a different set of install/admin
commands.  If you have Centos already, I'd use that and the rpm-packaged
backuppc from the EPEL yum repository.  If you mount the partition where
you want the archive as /var/lib/backuppc before installing the package
everything will work without having to change it later.