BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Newbie setup questions

2011-03-11 06:57:02
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Newbie setup questions
From: hansbkk AT gmail DOT com
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 18:51:50 +0700
I'm not qualified to disagree Cesar, but my understanding is that the issue:

A - Has nothing to do with the size in TB of the filesystem, but the
number of hardlinks - therefore the number of source files, the
frequency of backups and the number of clients.

b Wasn't/isn't related to memory leaks, but the sheer size of the
array that needs to be built in RAM to track all the files being
processed.

There have been extensive discussions on this quite recently,
including about recent versions of rsync improvement of memory leaks
not fixing the core issue, which remains a non-trivial one once the
number of links reaches a critical point relative to the RAM resources
available. Your situation hasn't hit that point yet, and perhaps never
will.

I'm simply pointing out a potential gotcha to watch out for, so the OP
can plan and design with that in mind, and giving alternative
workarounds for if/when the issue does arise, or to be used to prevent
that possibility.