BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Newbie setup questions

2011-03-10 18:30:06
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Newbie setup questions
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 18:28:30 -0500
Tyler J. Wagner wrote at about 23:00:47 +0000 on Thursday, March 10, 2011:
 > On Thu, 2011-03-10 at 20:10 +0100, Cesar Kawar wrote:
 > > El 10/03/2011, a las 19:55, Michael Conner escribió:
 > > > One additional question: are there any advantages to any particular
 > > > flavor of Linux for BPC?
 >
 > > I prefer Debian, all BackupPC installations I've done I've used Debian and
 > > never had a problem, plus, apt is the most robust package manager I've
 > > ever used.
 >
 > I prefer Ubuntu. However, it is based on Debian, and of course also uses
 > APT. Cesar is right; APT is so awesome it hurts.
 >
 > If you do use Debian, use a stable release. If you use Ubuntu, use an
 > LTS release. Generally stick to defaults and don't get obsessed about
 > one filesystem over another. You want your backup system to be stable,
 > reliable, and long-lived.
 >
 > Installation of BackupPC is one command:
 >
 > apt-get install backuppc

Alternatively, in Fedora world, the single command:
        yum install BackupPC
(and 4 fewer keystrokes!)
In all seriousness, I find yum/rpm equally powerful to apt/dpkg but
more flexible and easier to create/modify my own packages.

But this shouldn't be a linux distro competition - rather, the point
is that BackupPC installs with equal ease and works equally well on
just about any popular distro. Just use whatever distro you are most
comfortable with.