BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] One more time

2011-02-07 15:52:12
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] One more time
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2011 20:49:58 +0000
On Mon, 2011-02-07 at 12:39 -0500, Ryan Blake wrote:
> However, if that's not an option for whatever reason, the only other option
> would be to ensure that your dhcpd service is properly connected/integrated
> with bind [named] (assuming you are using these).

That's what I do at my office. However, I use dnsmasq at home, which
provides both DNS and DHCP. It automatically integrates them, so when
you supply your hostname with the DHCP request (as most clients do), it
gets added to the local DNS domain automatically.

Also, consider Bonjour/Avahi. Then you can use "hostname.local" as your
name/alias and it will work. Ubuntu and Macs will support this out of
the box. On Windows it's easy to install.

Regards,
Tyler

--
"... that your voice is amplified to the degree where it reaches from
one end of the country to the other does not confer upon you greater