BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Issue with remote backup of server(s) over VPN after failover

2011-02-07 17:13:47
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Issue with remote backup of server(s) over VPN after failover
From: Scott Saunders <ssaunders AT asphaltzipper DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2011 14:46:27 -0700
I've got a couple of servers running in a 2 node master/slave cluster
using pacemaker(corosync)/drbd. Like other servers, I've got them
configured to backup to a local BackupPC server as well as a remote (VPN
over T1) BackupPC server (rsync over ssh for both). However, with the
cluster, only the master node has the partition mounted that is to be
backed up, so the backups for the slave node will always fail. This is
ok, but maybe there is a better way to do this? Anyway, to get the
backups started I brought the remote backup server local to take a full
backup (because ~300GB). After a fail over of the master node to the
slave node the slave becomes the new master, gets the partition mounted
and thus has something to backup. The local backups work without a
problem on the new master. The remote backups act like they are working
on the new master, but never actually finish. I've let them go more than
a week, which is well past the default client timeout which has actually
never taken effect with these two boxes. This erroneous behavior
persists when failing back over to the original master. The only way I
get the remote backups going again is to bring the remote server local
for a full backup. Any subsequent remote backups work after this until a
fail over of the cluster occurs. Remote backups for other servers in the
past have been performed without these issues. Any ideas as to why there
are issues with the remote backup in this setup? And what I might try to
get the backups running again on the master node after a fail over
without having to bring the remote server local every time?