BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] OT: New backup server with 6TB disk space

2011-01-14 08:55:40
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] OT: New backup server with 6TB disk space
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 07:52:50 -0600
On 1/14/11 2:37 AM, Sorin Srbu wrote:

>> Is there a lot of block-level duplication among these?  If so it might
>> be worth setting up something with zfs.
>
> How can I tell?

Ask someone who creates the large data sets if they copy any or all of it from
something that already exists.  Backuppc will not pool data if there is one
byte
of difference in a huge file, where block level de-dup in the filesystem would
use space for unique blocks.  If everyone is working with slightly different
versions of the same data, you could easily save enough space to run a raid
level that would protect against a disk failure.

>> You should be able to run the
>> free version of nexentastor on something that size - not sure how it
>> would work with backuppc.
>
> My next question was going to be about filesystems. 8-)
>
> Ext3 has so far with 1.5TB worked fine and had decent performance, if not a
> speed demon. Xfs isn't supported yet I think in CentOS. Zfs focuses mainly on
> really big files IIRC. Ext4 would maybe have been a good choice, but isn't
> supported in CentOS either if I'm not mistaken.
>
> I'd prefer sticking with CentOS and BPC, as both are relatively known now at
> the IT-department, ie me. 8-) Any particular reason I should look into
> Nexentastor? The Zfs?

Nexentastor gives you a web admin interface so you don't need to know much
about
the underlying OS (which is opensolaris) or how to configure zfs.  If you have
new hardware it's pretty easy to drop in and test.  You could even run it as an
nfs server with the backuppc system running on something else.  Otherwise if
you
can wait another month or so, I'd wait for CentOS6 and use xfs.  Actually
you'll
probably want the OS on its own separate small partition(s) anyway so it
doesn't
matter that much - but I think RHEL6 (and thus eventually CentOS6) is supposed
to install on xfs as an option.