BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] OT: New backup server with 6TB disk space

2011-01-14 06:04:17
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] OT: New backup server with 6TB disk space
From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu AT orgfarm.uu DOT se>
To: "'General list for user discussion, questions and support'" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 12:01:27 +0100

How does the LVM do if I need it to be a raid0-array. Does it even care?
Before I've always added partitions the "old-fashioned way" with
fstab-entries, you "/dev/md0 /bak" etc.

>> Ext3 has so far with 1.5TB worked fine and had decent performance, if not a
>> speed demon. Xfs isn't supported yet I think in CentOS.
>
>AFAIK XFS is supported on CentOS 5.5 64bits (not on 32 bits)

Oh, that might explain some... I've only looked at 32b CentOS, as that is what
the current BPC-server runs. Never bothered. Thanks for the heads-up!

>> Ext4 would maybe have been a good choice, but isn't
>> supported in CentOS either if I'm not mistaken.
>
>EXT4 is available as a technology preview in CentOS 5.5, and will be
>fully supported by redhat in rhel 5.6 (available since yesterday, CentOS
>5.6 should follow in about one month).

Yepp, RHEL 5.6 wasn't announced when I wrote that. 8-)

>I personally use ext3 most of the time for BackupPC, with some quite
>large partitions (bigger actually is 4To). It's working great, and is
>very reliable. But for your usage (lots of big files), you may take
>advantage of ext4 extent allocation, so, I'd go for ext4.

I'd say approx 25-30% are huge files, 50% really small files (approx 4-10kB
each, and millions of them) and the rest in between. Would you still recommend
ext4 then?

My main problem with ext3 is that deletion of whole folder-structures, with a
million or so files and folders in them, takes forever to complete. Not that I
do it very often, but when...

--
/Sorin