BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] OT: New backup server with 6TB disk space

2011-01-13 10:38:05
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] OT: New backup server with 6TB disk space
From: "Sorin Srbu" <sorin.srbu AT orgfarm.uu DOT se>
To: "'General list for user discussion, questions and support'" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 16:36:00 +0100

Some explaining is perhaps necessary. Our BPC-project started because the
*nix-users needed to backup some really large molecular modeling projects.
These are easily in the 5+GB range each, and the users produce sometime five
or so a day each. With four (current) users doing this we fill up storage
fast. With this in mind and the time this was begun, storage was still pretty
expensive. This means we only keep about 5-6 full backups, depending on how
much storage is available. That's our historic data.

>For 6+ SW raids we experience drives being kicked out of arrays. Not
>necessarily a failed drive, sometimes moving to a new MB/case and
>booting with a loose cable, or a minor recoverable glitch in the drive.
>A simple re-adding has always cured the situation. With RAID0 we would
>have been screwed many times.

Hmmm... Apart from the raid5-problems I had some time ago, our SW raids have
been functioning very nicely indeed (knock on wood...).

>> The clients and backup-server are located on separate locations, and we
>> consider that secure enough. I've been running BPC for a couple of years
>> now, and still nobody has asked for a file-restore. 8-/
>
>We use the file-restore feature almost daily :)

Darn those sloppy users... ;-) I try to restore files and folders from time to
time, just to check things out.
--
/Sorin