BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] very slow backups

2010-12-29 21:40:26
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] very slow backups
From: gimili <gimili17 AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 21:37:54 -0500
On 12/23/2010 2:19 AM, Chris Baker wrote:
> I'm thinking a lot about the need to upgrade this system. I haven't done
> much of anything with it since we got it back in 2008. BackupPC was such a
> bear to set up that I wasn't sure that I wanted to take that plunge again.
> My attitude has been don't upgrade unless you must.
>
> I remember doing a kernel upgrade and losing access to a drive. I didn't
> try it again.
I use debian stable and found backuppc to be fairly easy to setup.  I
just did an aptitude install backuppc if I recall correctly.  I just use
an old Dell gx270 optiplex with a couple of 1TB drives formatted ext3.
Now that I have the backuppc config files for each machine it would be
even simpler.  I do not use raid and perhaps it causes a lot of
headaches/complications?  I have never had much trouble with kernel
upgrades and debian.  My backups run fairly fast but I did have an issue
with the direct restore where it was slow to restore my entire backup
from scratch.  As far as speed perhaps one of your new drives is bad?
Could you have a heat problem? Could you have a problem with a crimped
network cable or bad switch?