BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How to restore 200GB as fast/easily as possible?

2010-12-29 19:58:29
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How to restore 200GB as fast/easily as possible?
From: gimili <gimili17 AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 19:56:20 -0500
A big thanks to everyone for all the help.  I ended up using the command
line tool BackupPC_tarCreate.  I then copied the large tar file over
using ftp and then expanded it.  I could not get the direct restore to
work from the web interface.  For some reason it was slow and would
never complete.  It would work fine for a few folders but would not do
the entire backup at once.  I tried letting it run all night.  When
expanding the tar file I added >>log.txt to the end and then from
another command prompt I did a "watch tail log.txt" so that I could see
what was going on.   I don't think I lost any data.  I had to manually
create the Junk and Trash mail folders for my users because I exclude
them from my backups and my mail program would not create them
automatically.  I have a little bash script which did this very quickly
once I found out it was an issue.  I think if I could have temporarily
attached my new drive to the backup machine I could have sped things up
further but using the tar file and ftp was fairly quick.

**Thank goodness I had my backups created with backuppc!  It even
captured my mysql database which is always running.  What a great program!

Thanks again!