BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC progress

2010-12-23 05:33:30
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC progress
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 10:31:30 +0000
On Thu, 2010-12-23 at 09:08 +0100, jurgen.depicker AT let DOT be wrote:
> To see BackupPC progress, I thought a little more about Tyler's
> suggestion, and came up with this:
>  watch "lsof -n -ubackuppc | grep -v \" mem \""
>
> Whether rsync or smbclient are used, files being opened by the user
> backuppc show up in this list.
>
> Probably someone can come up with a refinement of this but the man
> page for lsof is a little long :-) .

Well, now this is getting fun.

The lsof manpage is indeed terrible, a wasteland of badly-organised
information and errata. A pox on its author and his pets. Most damning,
lsof cannot filter by file type AND user. So we use grep:

lsof -n -u backuppc | egrep ' (REG|DIR) ' |
   egrep -v ' (mem|txt|cwd|rtd) ' | awk '{print $9}'

In my tests, this lists open files used by the BackupPC processes. When
idle, this shows only logs:

/var/local/backuppc/log/LOG
/var/local/backuppc/log/LOG
/var/local/backuppc/log/LOG

When a restore is running, it also lists what files are currently being
read:

/var/local/backuppc/pc/host.example.com/431/f%
2f/fhome/fusername//ftemp_867333d87c32735ce70762d2dc7fca2a

You could filter out the logs too:

lsof -n -u backuppc | egrep ' (REG|DIR) ' |
   egrep -v '( (mem|txt|cwd|rtd) |/LOG)' | awk '{print $9}'

You could do a similiar thing on the client:

lsof -n -c rsync | egrep ' (REG|DIR) ' |
   egrep -v '( (mem|txt|cwd|rtd) |/LOG)' | awk '{print $9}'

Regards,
Tyler

--
"Privacy has to be viewed in the context of relative power. For example,
the government has a lot more power than the people. So privacy for