BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How to restore 200GB as fast/easily as possible?

2010-12-22 08:51:09
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How to restore 200GB as fast/easily as possible?
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 13:49:23 +0000
On Wed, 2010-12-22 at 08:21 -0500, gimili wrote:
> I left it running all night and it is still not done.  It shows it
> running in the web interface but when I do a "df" on the target
> machine the "Used Available Use%" are not changing at all which make
> me think that it is not working plus it should have been done by now.

My biggest complaint about BackupPC (and I have few), is that both
backups and restores show nothing when in progress. At least with rsync.
I'd prefer something like a way to see the last 10 files copied, or
something, just to see what it is doing.

Gimili, you can run this on the target machine:

for i in `ps -ef | grep rsync | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2};'` ; do
lsof -n | grep $i ; done

This will list all open files currently in use by any processes named
"rsync". A few of those will be the files currently being read or
written. You can use this to see what is happening.

I had a problem recently where rsync restores failed if they ran longer
than 12 seconds or so. The problem turned out to be /tmp having the
wrong permissions. Make sure it is mode 1777 (rwxrwxrwt).

Regards,
Tyler

--
"If one would give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest
man, I would find something in them to have him hanged."