BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Bizarre form of cpool corruption.

2010-12-09 19:50:15
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Bizarre form of cpool corruption.
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 19:48:20 -0500
Robin Lee Powell wrote at about 16:13:27 -0800 on Thursday, December 9, 2010:
 > On Thu, Dec 09, 2010 at 06:41:22PM -0500, Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
 > > Robin Lee Powell wrote at about 15:24:30 -0800 on Thursday, December 9,
 > > 2010:
 > >  > On Thu, Dec 09, 2010 at 12:05:01AM -0500, Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
 > >  > > Anyway here is the diff. I have not had time to check it much
 > >  > > beyond verifying that it seems to run -- SO I WOULD TRULY
 > >  > > APPRECIATE IT IF YOU CONTINUE TO TEST IT AND GIVE ME FEEDBACK.
 > >  > > Also, it would be great if you would let me know approximately
 > >  > > what speedup you achieved with this code vs. your original.
 > >  >
 > >  > Yeah, I can do that.  You mind sending me a completely updated
 > >  > version privately?  i.e. what you'd post to the wiki once it was
 > >  > tested?
 > >  >
 > > Sure...
 >
 > Well, initially:
 >

 > ut00-s00008 pc # sudo -u backuppc /var/tmp/BackupPC_fixLinks
 > Subroutine jlink redefined at /var/tmp/BackupPC_fixLinks line 597.
 > Subroutine junlink redefined at /var/tmp/BackupPC_fixLinks line 603.
 > Use of uninitialized value in numeric eq (==) at /var/tmp/BackupPC_fixLinks
 > line 99.
 >

 > The first two seem deliberate, but are surprising.

Ohh... they are inconsequential and only now popped up because I
uncommented "use warnings" for testing purposes.
That being said, I corrected the code sloppiness they uncovered.
You need to update jlib.pm too since I moved one routine there for
consistency.

Here is the code:

 > Oh, hey, a request: can you add $|=1; to your scripts?  I end up
 > adding it regularily because I want to save the output but I also
 > want to see that it's doing something, so I do things like:
 >
 >   $ sudo -u backuppc /var/tmp/BackupPC_fixLinks | tee >/tmp/fix.out
 >
 > which appears to do nothing for ages due to buffering.

Hmm... let me think about it... I did use some $| as part of the
warning outputs...

 > I have a super-giant run going now; I'll let you know how it goes.
 > It will likely take many days.

Good luck!