BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Bizarre form of cpool corruption.

2010-12-09 19:15:00
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Bizarre form of cpool corruption.
From: Robin Lee Powell <rlpowell AT digitalkingdom DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 16:13:27 -0800
On Thu, Dec 09, 2010 at 06:41:22PM -0500, Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
> Robin Lee Powell wrote at about 15:24:30 -0800 on Thursday, December 9, 2010:
>  > On Thu, Dec 09, 2010 at 12:05:01AM -0500, Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
>  > > Anyway here is the diff. I have not had time to check it much
>  > > beyond verifying that it seems to run -- SO I WOULD TRULY
>  > > APPRECIATE IT IF YOU CONTINUE TO TEST IT AND GIVE ME FEEDBACK.
>  > > Also, it would be great if you would let me know approximately
>  > > what speedup you achieved with this code vs. your original.
>  >
>  > Yeah, I can do that.  You mind sending me a completely updated
>  > version privately?  i.e. what you'd post to the wiki once it was
>  > tested?
>  >
> Sure...

Well, initially:

ut00-s00008 pc # sudo -u backuppc /var/tmp/BackupPC_fixLinks
Subroutine jlink redefined at /var/tmp/BackupPC_fixLinks line 597.
Subroutine junlink redefined at /var/tmp/BackupPC_fixLinks line 603.
Use of uninitialized value in numeric eq (==) at /var/tmp/BackupPC_fixLinks
line 99.

The first two seem deliberate, but are surprising.

Oh, hey, a request: can you add $|=1; to your scripts?  I end up
adding it regularily because I want to save the output but I also
want to see that it's doing something, so I do things like:

  $ sudo -u backuppc /var/tmp/BackupPC_fixLinks | tee >/tmp/fix.out

which appears to do nothing for ages due to buffering.

I have a super-giant run going now; I'll let you know how it goes.
It will likely take many days.

-Robin

--
http://singinst.org/ :  Our last, best hope for a fantastic future.