BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] MOTD breaking rsync...

2010-09-18 07:42:56
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] MOTD breaking rsync...
From: Jon Craig <cannedspam.cant AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 07:40:11 -0400
On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 19:01, RC <cooleyr AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> Jon Craig <cannedspam.cant <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>> as for attitudes yours isn't one that inspires people to spend time trying to
> support a marginal OS from a company that has a poor track record with the
> open
> source world.
>
> My first (perfectly polite) post got completely ignored.  Nothing has changed
> my
> opinion that this list appears to be for complete beginners.  I haven't seen
> anyone provide any useful technical information that I don't already know from
> my own few hours investigating BackupPC.  Your own comments, where you presume
> to educate me, aren't providing any new information, either.

Maybe you better explain what you know and what you've tried so we are
not forced to
go over ground you may already have covered.

>> Your casting of stones at the architecture of BackupPC is in incredibly poor
> taste given your demonstrated level of skill.
>
> You're welcome to point out how I have, in any way, demonstrated any lack of
> technical competence, other than the mere fact I'm not a major Perl hacker who
> can instantly jump into and fix bugs in an unfamiliar project.

Your very first post calls BackupPC's methods fragile and complains about a
documented requirement of the login process.

>> For your information BackupPC does not send full and partial backups in the
> sense of traditional backup software.
>
> I'm well aware of that.  "Full" backups (checksumming the ENTIRE filesystem),
> however, are an obscene waste of time and resources for no good reason, that
> CAN
> be eliminated for the reasons I've already stated.  Network bandwidth, disk
> space, etc., are not my predominant concerns.  The time it takes to run a
> "full"
> backup on a multi-terabyte server is extremely prohibitive.  Several
> commercial
> backup solutions (CDP-type solutions in particular) only do a full backup
> once,
> and NEVER again.  rsync is perfectly capable of doing something quite close to
> this.  There's no reason BackupPC shouldn't be able to take advantage of this
> as
> well, if it simply dropped the legacy full/incr mentality.

Maybe my education is lacking.  Could you explain to me how rsync
avoids checksumming the entire filesystem without using file
timestamps to include / exclude files and how backuppc's
full/incremental behaves differently.

Despite my efforts to lightly chastise you for your tone and attitude
I have been offering those solutions short of a rewrite of the
application.  Are you living with specific security requirements? Did
you try setting rsync and the login shell?  What result?  Are you
considering setup of VPN?

As another thought, you wouldn't need a full VPN if you simply wish to
encrypt the backup traffic.  You could re-work the client connection
process so that it makes a call to the client via ssh, creates a
point-to-point socket, and then starts rsync as a daemon using this
socket.  You could then transfer everything using encrypted ssh while
avoiding the login noise.

I'm sorry if my impressions of your attitude are incorrect.  I'll stop
commenting about this if you'll start providing more information about
what you've tried, and what your willing to live with.  If the only
thing your willing to live with is a rewrite of the entire system so
that it behaves in a way you "believe" it can and should then I for
one am done.

Jonathan Craig