BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] MOTD breaking rsync...

2010-09-17 08:43:48
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] MOTD breaking rsync...
From: Jon Craig <cannedspam.cant AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 08:41:36 -0400

I know companies still have it around.  Our company has 100's of these systems and I am still happy I no longer need to deal with them. The reason your .hushlogin doesn't work is because your system is in enhanced security mode (which forces all that security mumbo jumbo to display).  I think your stuck and as for attitudes yours isn't one that inspires people to spend time trying to support a marginal OS from a company that has a poor track record with the open source world.

I assume from your encryption comment that your either dealing with a public network or you don't trust your fellow employees.  So your probably unwilling to relax your security.  This means short of inspiring someone to hold your hand through a code fix or outright getting someone to do it for you your options are limited.  You could try setting rsync as the login shell, but I don't know if that will work or eliminate the extraneous messages.  The other thing you could do is setup a vpn to do your security and run rsync in daemon mode.

Your casting of stones at the architecture of BackupPC is in incredibly poor taste given your demonstrated level of skill.  For your information BackupPC does not send full and partial backups in the sense of traditional backup software.  The full and incremental terms are overloaded with BackupPC's concepts.  A full backup will examine every file and transfer only the bits that change.  An incremental backup will only examine files that have differing timestamps from the last lower level backup and only send the pieces that have changed.  If you want filled on disk images then simply do all full backups.  This will create more server/client load but not appreciably more network load or server disk consumption (but beware you will use up nodes at a much steeper rate).