BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] MOTD breaking rsync...

2010-09-16 17:10:47
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] MOTD breaking rsync...
From: RC <cooleyr AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 21:08:32 +0000 (UTC)
Jon Craig <cannedspam.cant <at> gmail.com> writes:

> If you want the benefits of rsync then you must live with its limitations.

This is not a limitation of rsync.  I specifically said rsync (C binary) works
just fine.  The Perl::File::RSyncP doesn't seem to be ignoring the junk, and
waiting for the proper start character.

>  I mean your living with SCO (SCO really, are you serious??!).

Plenty of large companies have legacy SCO systems they need to keep around.  An
attitude like yours is a very bad one to have if you ever want to be employed.

>  If you can't manage to get SCO to behave then simply configure rsync in
daemon mode and be done with it.

Backups without encryption?  Definitely not acceptable.

>  Once you start using rsync in your daily life you find it to be an
indispensable tool.

It certainly is indespensible.  Unfortunately BackupPC's design is not geared
towards getting most of the benefits out of it.  You should NEVER again need to
do a full backup (thanks to checksums) and you should never have to checksum the
full-system in a single run (thanks to RsyncCsumCacheVerifyProb).  Sadly,
BackupPC is still stuck in the Full/Incr mindset, and seems to be going the
wrong way, even depreciating some options (like IncrFill) which provide some of
rsync's most significant benefits.