BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup backuppc

2010-08-23 17:54:34
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup backuppc
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 22:52:07 +0100
On Monday 23 Aug 2010 18:27:59 Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
> On 08/23 05:04 , Tyler J. Wagner wrote:
> > What was your disk configuration? Any RAID involved?
>
> It was RAIDed, don't remember the details. Possibly RAID 5 (yes, I know,
> poor performance -- but low price, and acceptably fast for most needs).

If so, that was most likely your problem. RAID-5 has a write performance of 1X
disk speed. RAID-10 has a write performance of 1/2*n disk speed. So if you
have 4 disks, you can write almost twice as fast as you could with RAID-1, -5,
or no RAID at all. That's a big issue when it comes to simultaneous writes,
such as would be caused by running backups while keeping an LVM snapshot.

I traded an older array of 5x 500 GB disks in RAID-5 for 4x 1TB disks in
RAID-10, and it was worth every penny.

Regards,
Tyler

--
"A competent and self-confident person is incapable of jealousy in
anything. Jealousy is invariably a symptom of neurotic insecurity."