BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup backuppc

2010-08-23 11:46:00
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup backuppc
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 10:42:43 -0500
On 08/20 11:02 , Mirco Piccin wrote:
> i usually use an LVM volume (easy to extend) as TOPDIR.
> In this case a FAST solution could be the lvm volume snapshot.
> Of course, you need to save also BackupPC conf files.

I've tried this in the past. Taking a snapshot of a live backuppc instance
and then backing up the snapshot (especially to tape, like I tried) turns
out to be murderously slow due to all the disk updates.

At least to tape (where a minimum data rate is required, or else the tape
starts 'shoeshining'), it was 4x faster to shut down the backuppc instance,
tar the whole TOPDIR to tape, and then restart BackupPC; than to take a
snapshot and back up the snapshot. This was due to less disk contention.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator