BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup backuppc

2010-08-20 10:30:08
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup backuppc
From: Mirco Piccin <pictux AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 16:28:05 +0200
Hi

> So, whenever I create the snapshot I have a "static" copy of the source
> lv that I can copy with any method (eg rsync or netcat). At this point,
> please forgive me, I don't see the advantage of LVM snapshots than using
> directly the rsync approach on the "live" lv provided backuppc is
> sleeping during this period. Provided there is no activity on the source
> volume, how can the copy from the snaphost be faster than the direct
> copy? is there any hidden mechanism that do the trick?

the point is that a snapshot :
- is very fast, and then you can copy off the machine using netcat or rsynch, without worries about BackupPC activity.
Believe me, now you are sure that BackupPC is "sleeping" during the copy, but tomorrow and tomorrow again with one more server/pc to backup, and another one, and so on..?
- if the logical volume is a removable USB disk partition , you can simply remove that usb disk and store it everywhere, without additional copy.

Regards