BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup backuppc

2010-08-20 10:48:10
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup backuppc
From: Farmol SPA <farmolspa AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 16:46:18 +0200
-------- Original Message  --------
From: Mirco Piccin <pictux AT gmail DOT com>
To: General list for user discussion, questions and support <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri Aug 20 2010 16:28:05 GMT+0200 (ora Legale Europa Occidentale)
the point is that a snapshot :
- is very fast, and then you can copy off the machine using netcat or rsynch, without worries about BackupPC activity.
Believe me, now you are sure that BackupPC is "sleeping" during the copy, but tomorrow and tomorrow again with one more server/pc to backup, and another one, and so on..?
- if the logical volume is a removable USB disk partition , you can simply remove that usb disk and store it everywhere, without additional copy.

So:
  1. I create a snapshot lv of the backuppc source lv on an external USB device;
  2. I unmount the snapshot;
  3. I eject the disk.
Provided you can unmount a lv on a removable partition without deactivating the volume group first (I don't believe this is possible), I don't understand when the copy from the source to the snapshot takes place. If the copy happens from the snapshot to the USB device (that is a traditional partition even with no LVM) then it's more clear to me, and the advantage I see is with the hard link matter and the fact that the source lv can change while you copy the "static" data on the snap.

I will study your links this weekend, maybe I'll find some lightning...

Have a nice w-e.

Alessandro