BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup software that does deltas

2010-08-19 09:16:01
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup software that does deltas
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 14:13:39 +0100
On Thursday 19 Aug 2010 12:45:21 Boniforti Flavio wrote:
> OK, I'll stick with ext3 or ext4 (don't know if ext4 is supported in
> Debian Lenny).
> Could you simply explain to me (curiosity) why ZFS de-duplication would
> not have any meaning on my setup?

It won't be of use because BackupPC already performs its own data de-
duplication within the pool.  I suppose I should say it will be of little use,
since the de-duplication is at the block, not file, level. So that will help a
little.

> I'm actually running 8 simultaneous backups, over DLS WAN connections,
> during nighttime, and no problems yet.

The slow data rate of DSL is why you can do that. I'm running 4 over gigabit.
A single SATA drive (RAID-1 write performance = 1 drive write speed) can't
keep up with that many seeks and writes at the same time.

Regards,
Tyler

--
Discere faciendo.  Learn by doing.