BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup software that does deltas

2010-08-19 06:44:41
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup software that does deltas
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 11:42:04 +0100
On Thursday 19 Aug 2010 11:06:30 Boniforti Flavio wrote:
> as usual I appreciate your precise comments/suggestions, so far that I
> need to ask if there is a real benefit in using zfs when thinking about
> installing BackupPC server. As you might have read, I'm about to install
> from scratch a new (Debian?!) server for BackupPC (I already have a
> separate RAID-1 array dedicated to the BackupPC store). Would you mind
> giving me your point of view for what I'm about to do?

ZFS de-duplication won't be of any use to you. However, you can always use ZFS
to extend the filesystem later with more disks. Otherwise, I'd recommend ext4.

If you have the disks for it, consider RAID-10 (and don't consider RAID-5).
Performance of BackupPC increased noticeably when I moved to it (I run 4
backups simultaneously). If you're running just one backup at time, it won't
matter as much.

Regards,
Tyler

--
When the going get tough, the tough sniff packets.