BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup software that does deltas

2010-08-18 23:07:17
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup software that does deltas
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 22:05:05 -0500
folder wrote:
> I'm looking for a local software that will backup only the changed bits
> (deltas) of changed files and copy them to a NAS on my network.  I've looked
> at, and decided against, DeltaCopy, Unison, and Areca Backup.  Are there any
> others out there?  I'm willing to pay up to around $50 or $100 max, but I
> need to get a perpetual license for the money.
> (I don't want to use an online backup (Mozy, etc.)
> Thanks.

You probably already know this, but backuppc will transfer only the deltas if
you use rsync, but then it will reconstruct a complete copy of changed files on
the server for storage.  If you have large files with small changes there might
be enough waste to worry about.

One approach to save space might be to use a server running zfs (opensolaris,
nexentastor, freebsd, etc.) with de-dup activated for the backup storage.  That
way, even though the backup application stores complete copies, any duplicate
blocks would be shared.