BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup software that does deltas

2010-08-19 07:48:11
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup software that does deltas
From: "Boniforti Flavio" <flavio AT piramide DOT ch>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 13:45:21 +0200
Hello Tyler,

> ZFS de-duplication won't be of any use to you. However, you
> can always use ZFS to extend the filesystem later with more
> disks. Otherwise, I'd recommend ext4.

OK, I'll stick with ext3 or ext4 (don't know if ext4 is supported in
Debian Lenny).
Could you simply explain to me (curiosity) why ZFS de-duplication would
not have any meaning on my setup?

> If you have the disks for it, consider RAID-10 (and don't
> consider RAID-5).
> Performance of BackupPC increased noticeably when I moved to
> it (I run 4 backups simultaneously). If you're running just
> one backup at time, it won't matter as much.

I'm actually running 8 simultaneous backups, over DLS WAN connections,
during nighttime, and no problems yet.

Thanks for your suggestions,
Flavio Boniforti

PIRAMIDE INFORMATICA SAGL