BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] hardware and configuration recommendations for speed?

2010-05-26 00:25:41
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] hardware and configuration recommendations for speed?
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 00:23:40 -0400
Frank J. Gómez wrote at about 15:20:12 -0400 on Tuesday, May 25, 2010:
 > Thanks for your response, Jeffrey.
 >

 > > I wonder whether there is something wrong with your setup,
 > > particularly on the Windows machine.
 > >

 > I'm open to that possibility, though I'm not sure where to begin
 > troubleshooting.
 >

 > > Yet, incremental backups take about 15-20 min and fulls take about 70
 > > minutes. So unless you are changing a large fraction of the files and
 > > disc space between fulls, I would suggest that there is a problem with
 > > your setup.
 > >

 > I took a look at some of the machines that are *not* experiencing problems
 > and found that they are not transferring particularly quickly either.  I
 > have two machines which storing about 10,500 files each, totaling between
 > 2.5 and 4 GB, and they are taking between 1 and 2.5 hours for fulls and
 > anywhere between 4 and 90 minutes for incrementals.  (I think the variance
 > there is due mostly to whether or not BackupPC is trying to backup RED5 at
 > the same time.  RED5 backups very significantly impact the performance of
 > the other backups.)  But I think this shows that something about my system
 > as a whole (whether it's my config or a bottleneck at the USB) is slow --
 > not just that particular client.  Do you agree?

There is nothing intrinsic about Windows XP Home, cygwin/rsyncd
(especially with cygwin 1.7), and BackupPC that should be causing your
backups to be significantly worse than backing up a Linux system.

Are those other machines also Windows XP Home or are they linux?

USB drives are slow and the problem may be exacerbated if the pool is
on a USB drive and you are not doing checksum caching.