BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] hardware and configuration recommendations for speed?

2010-05-25 15:21:43
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] hardware and configuration recommendations for speed?
From: Frank J. Gómez <frank AT crop-circle DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 15:20:12 -0400
Thanks for your response, Jeffrey.

I wonder whether there is something wrong with your setup,
particularly on the Windows machine.

I'm open to that possibility, though I'm not sure where to begin troubleshooting.

Yet, incremental backups take about 15-20 min and fulls take about 70
minutes. So unless you are changing a large fraction of the files and
disc space between fulls, I would suggest that there is a problem with
your setup.

I took a look at some of the machines that are not experiencing problems and found that they are not transferring particularly quickly either.  I have two machines which storing about 10,500 files each, totaling between 2.5 and 4 GB, and they are taking between 1 and 2.5 hours for fulls and anywhere between 4 and 90 minutes for incrementals.  (I think the variance there is due mostly to whether or not BackupPC is trying to backup RED5 at the same time.  RED5 backups very significantly impact the performance of the other backups.)  But I think this shows that something about my system as a whole (whether it's my config or a bottleneck at the USB) is slow -- not just that particular client.  Do you agree?