BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] hardware and configuration recommendations for speed?

2010-05-26 10:02:00
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] hardware and configuration recommendations for speed?
From: Frank J. Gómez <frank AT crop-circle DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 09:58:55 -0400
There is nothing intrinsic about Windows XP Home, cygwin/rsyncd
(especially with cygwin 1.7), and BackupPC that should be causing your
backups to be significantly worse than backing up a Linux system.

Are those other machines also Windows XP Home or are they linux?

The other machines are Windows 7.

USB drives are slow and the problem may be exacerbated if the pool is
on a USB drive and you are not doing checksum caching.

Yes, that's two strikes against me.  But checksum caching won't help me with the initial backup, which takes 8+ hours.

Right now I'm leaning toward a 5-drive setup.  One drive for the operating system, and the rest for the pool in a RAID 0+1 array, which, according to http://www.z-a-recovery.com/art-raid.htm, will allow me to write twice as fast as with a single disk and which will tolerate disk failure fairly well.  I guess it's a slight step up from Les's original suggestion.

One thing I'm not sure about with regard to RAID 0+1 arrays is how to recover from a disk failure.  I understand that if you replace a drive in a RAID5, its contents are rebuilt using the parity on the other drives -- you can rebuild the array without powering down the machine (assuming you have hot-swappable drives).  Is this possible for a RAID 0+1 configuration?  If not, I guess there's no point in paying the premium for hot-swappable drives.

Thanks!
-Frank