BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Rsync backup won't run

2010-05-25 18:54:17
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Rsync backup won't run
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: david AT wraige DOT com
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 17:52:42 -0500
On 5/25/2010 5:27 PM, David Wraige wrote:

>>> full backup started for directory /home
>>> Running: /usr/bin/ssh -q -x -l david aragorn /usr/bin/rsync --server
>>> --sender --numeric-ids --perms --owner --group -D --links --hard-links
>>> --times --block-size=2048 --recursive --ignore-times . /home/
>>> Xfer PIDs are now 660
>>> Read EOF:
>>> Tried again: got 0 bytes
>>> Done: 0 files, 0 bytes
>>> Got fatal error during xfer (Unable to read 4 bytes)
>>> Backup aborted (Unable to read 4 bytes)
>>
>> Are you sure these two runs are started by the same user - or that you
>> don't have a passphrase required?  The one above looks like it's ssh
>> identity did not match, where the one below at least started the remote
>> rsync command.
>>

> Thanks very much for replying Les. I'm as sure as I can be that they're
> running as the same user. The run below is definitely run as user
> "backuppc". The one above I assume is kicked off by the "backuppc" user
> as Apache is running as backuppc:

I'm not really sure how ssh finds it's identity file, but I'd guess it
needs HOME or USER set.   But this isn't really done by apache.  Apache
just sends the server a message and even that only happens when you
force a run from the web page.  How do you start the backuppc service?

>>> It hangs forever at that point. If I understand correctly that means
>>> that the rsync server has started on the client and the following
>>> confirms this:
>>
>> You aren't running as root.  Does the 'david' user have permission to
>> access the target directory?  Could some mandatory lock or hung nfs
>> mount be making it wait?
>>

> That was simply laziness on my behalf because aragorn is an Ubuntu host,
> which has a disabled root account. The "david" user at least has read
> permission. I've enabled the root account just to check and I get
> identical results, both for the Apache-started run and the
> manually-started one.

I thought the apache-started run didn't even negotiate a protocol - so
you shouldn't see a running remote rsync unless it is left from some
other invocation.

>> If aragorn is linux, you might 'strace -p' the process id of the hung
>> rsync to see what system call it is waiting for.
>>

> I ran the strace -p command and got the following:
>
> david@aragorn:~$ pgrep -l rsync
> 23874 rsync
> david@aragorn:~$ strace -p 23874
> Process 23874 attached - interrupt to quit
> select(1, [0], [], NULL, {52, 380000})  = 0 (Timeout)
> select(1, [0], [], NULL, {60, 0})       = 0 (Timeout)
> select(1, [0], [], NULL, {60, 0})       = 0 (Timeout)
> select(1, [0], [], NULL, {60, 0}^C<unfinished ...>
> Process 23874 detached
>
> Do you have any idea what that means?

That just means it is waiting for something to happen on one of its open
files or sockets.  Since you have an unusual version on the server side,
maybe there is something wrong with your perl modules and it hasn't sent
the request correctly.